Making homemade cauliflower rice is so much easier than I expected. It actually has a texture like rice too. I was very hesitant to try it and was really worried it was not a substitute that would taste like the real thing. It is about as close as you can get without eating actual rice.
Trust me. It really is awesome.
You can buy pre-made cauliflower rice if you would like. I chose to make my own. There are a few ways to make it.
You can use a food processor to make it. This is the easiest way to get it done quickly. There are two other ways as well. You can chop with a knife. I wouldn’t recommend this as it would likely take a long time to finely chop it. I chose to use my cheese grater and used the smallest side to make it similar to the size of grains of rice.
When you are done it will look like the picture below. I heated a skillet on medium high and sauteed it in olive oil for a few minutes to change the texture a bit. I liked it better after completing this step than I did when I skipped it.
Next, saute some diced onions until caramel in color and add to the rice. Add 1 cup peas and carrots.
Then add shredded or diced chicken cooked with salt and pepper.
Scramble 4 eggs and cook until scrambled lightly. They should still have some moisture in them when they are finished. Be sure to keep an eye on them while you are cooking them so they do not become overdone. This will happen quickly if you do not pay attention.
Then add scrambled eggs and diced pineapple to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Low-Carb Cauliflower Fried Rice
Cook Time: 15 minutes Prep Time: 20 minutes
1 head cauliflower
1 cup peas and carrots
1/2 white onion
1 1/2 cups diced pineapple
1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
1/4 cup Soy sauce (or if allergic, substitute with balsamic vinaigrette)
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Rice cauliflower with food processor, cheese grater or chop finely with a knife.
- Saute cauliflower rice in a pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil for about 5 minutes on medium-high heat. Remove cauliflower from pan and add to a bowl.
- Add remaining olive oil to pan and saute diced onion for about 5 minutes.
- Add onion to bowl with rice and add peas and carrots.
- Add cooked chicken. If you need to prep chicken ahead of time, use my Simple Meal Prep Chicken.
- Scramble eggs lightly and add to bowl with diced pineapple.
- Stir to combine and season to taste with salt, pepper and soy sauce.