Another installment in the list of Valentine’s Day themed recipes for you since it is approaching quickly! These are a gooey, chocolate sugar cookie with a brownie like texture and they are topped with a Hershey’s Strawberry Cream heart candy.
Soften 1 stick of butter in the microwave safe dish for about 10 seconds. It will be soft but not quite fully melted. Add to a mixing bowl with 2/3 cup granulated white sugar.
Next, add 1/3 cup light brown sugar and mix.
Add 1 egg, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
Add 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder and stir.
Add 1 1/4 cups flour. If dough is sticky, chill for about 30 minutes in the fridge.
Preheat oven to 350 and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or non-stick spray. Scoop cookie dough with a cookie scoop. Bake 9-11 minutes until edges are dark.
Lightly press chocolate hearts into the tops of the cookies. Be careful, the heat will make them melt so a light touch is very important here. Cool 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to continue cooling process.
Chocolate Strawberry Heart Cookies
Prep Time: 45 minutes (Active Time: 15 minutes)
Cook Time: 9-11 minutes
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Soften 1 stick of butter in the microwave safe dish for about 10 seconds. It will be soft but not quite fully melted.
- Add butter to a mixing bowl with sugars and combine.
- Add egg and vanilla and stir.
- Add dry ingredients and stir to combine, scraping down the bowl to be sure all dry ingredients are incorporated
- If needed, chill dough 30 minutes in the fridge before baking
- Scoop cookie dough onto baking sheet
- Bake 9-11 minutes
- Top each cookie with one candy heart and cool 10 minutes
- Transfer to a wire rack to complete cooling