This is one of my favorite soft and chewy cookie recipes. I definitely don’t make these enough but when I do I always seem to rediscover my love for peanut butter.
I will admit that these are best served warm in my opinion but you can eat them when they’re cooled if you so desire.
Start by softening your butter.
Now add sugars. I use 1/3 cup granulated sugar and 2/3 cup light brown sugar.
Add to the mixing bowl.
Once both sugars are added, stir on low speed for 1-2 minutes until fully combined.
Add 1 egg and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
Stir to incorporate into the dry butter and sugar mixture.
Add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Add one teaspoon baking soda.
Add 1 1/4 cups flour and mix on low speed, scraping down the bowl halfway through to combine.
Let the dough chill covered in the fridge about 2 hours. You can also put in the freezer wrapped tightly in saran wrap for about 30 minutes to chill it faster.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a cookie sheet or prepare one lined with parchment paper. Scoop balls of dough and roll in granulated sugar.
Be sure it is fully coated in sugar. This step helps with the pretty crackly tops.
They will spread a bit so don’t overfill the cookie sheet.
Bake 7-9 minutes until edges are browned and tops are crackly. See below for finished product.
Cool and serve!
Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Chill Time: 30 minutes up to overnight
Bake Time (total): 20 minutes
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups flour
1. Soften butter and cream butter and sugars in a stand mixer 1-2 minutes until combined.
2. Add peanut butter and stir on medium speed 1-2 minutes.
3. Add egg and vanilla and stir on low speed until fully incorporated.
4. Add salt, baking soda and flour and stir or mix on low, scraping down the bowl to ensure dry ingredients are fully mixed in to wet ingredients.
5. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in freezer 30 minutes or cover bowl and chill in fridge for at least 2 hours but can be done as long as overnight.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a cookie sheet or prepare one lined with parchment paper.
7. Scoop balls of dough and roll in granulated sugar.
8. Bake 7-9 minutes until edges are browned and tops are crackly.
9. Cool 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to finish cooling.
There you have it!