These bright colored sugar cookies are the perfect treat for a Halloween party or even for a fun and festive after school snack.
It is a great recipe to make with kids that doesn’t take forever and doesn’t make a ton of cookies, so it’s bound to hold their attention the whole time.
PLUS… the cookies are melt in your mouth good and they are so worth the food coloring mess.
If you would prefer to watch how to make this recipe, check out my YouTube video
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 3/4 all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
McCormick Neon food coloring
I was able to find candy Eyes at Target but if you cannot find them you can make them at home!
*P.S. here are some recipes to make the Googly Eyes at home from some other bloggers that you can try*
Self Proclaimed Foodie’s Googly Eyes
Fork and Beans Vegan Googly Eyes
Sarah’s Bake Studio Video Tutorial on Googly Eyes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Beat softened butter and sugar in a stand mixer on low speed and then add egg and vanilla and stir to combine
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and whisk with a fork to combine
4. Add dry ingredients into mixer bowl 1/3 at a time, so in 3 batches and mix on low speed, scraping down the bowl in between adding more dry ingredients
4. Divide the dough into 4 even sections and place in bowls to add food coloring. Follow package directions on McCormick Neon Food Coloring to make the colors on the box and stir into cookie dough
5. Using a spoon or small cookie scoop, place cookie dough on baking sheet and add Eyes
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until browning at edges and beginning to crack on the top
And there you have it!